This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This Mediterranean quinoa salad recipe with feta cheese combines so many amazing flavors into one bowl! Quinoa chickpea salad has simple ingredients and similar flavors to chopped Mediterranean salad, but with satisfying quinoa. Plate it with grilled meats, veggies, and Greek tzatziki sauce for a fresh and easy meal with just minutes of hands-on prep.
Quinoa Salad Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Mediterranean or Greek quinoa salad, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Quinoa Chickpea Salad:
- Quinoa – I used white quinoa, but you can use variety of quinoa you prefer.
- Diced Vegetables – I used red bell pepper and cucumber, but see below for other ideas.
- Chickpeas – Use canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained. This is the most convenient option, but you could also cook your own.
- Fresh Parsley – You could also replace this with other fresh herbs, such as fresh basil. Cilantro is also common in quinoa salads, but it doesn’t pair as well with the Mediterranean vibe of this one.
- Feta Cheese – Adds tangy Mediterranean flavor. If you need to avoid dairy or want a vegan version, you can omit it.
- Green Olives – Optional. The briny taste of olives adds another layer of flavor to this zesty salad.
- Shallots – Optional. They add a subtle crunch to this recipe for quinoa salad. Finely diced white or red onion could work as a substitute.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Dressing:
- Olive Oil – Use the highest quality extra-virgin olive oil you can. Avocado oil would also work, but olive oil pairs best with the other flavors in this salad.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed juice tastes best in this cold quinoa salad with feta, but you can use bottled lemon juice if you need to. You can also substitute lime juice, but the flavor of lemon juice works better in this recipe.
- White Wine Vinegar – You can also use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Dijon Mustard – Adds flavor and emulsifies the dressing.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Quinoa Salad
This section shows how to make quinoa Mediterranean salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Cook quinoa. Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse for about one minute. Transfer to a small saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, rest, then fluff with a fork.
TIP: Should you rinse quinoa?
Although some quinoa brands come pre-rinsed, this step ensures that the cooked quinoa will not taste bitter or “off” in any way.
- Assemble. Combine cooked quinoa, bell peppers, cucumbers, chickpeas, parsley, feta, green olives (if using), and shallots (if using) in a large bowl.
- Make dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients — olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sea salt, and black pepper — together in a small bowl.
- Toss. Pour dressing onto the quinoa salad and mix to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or place in the fridge for 1 hour to let flavors develop.
- Add or change veggies – Try this salad with cherry tomatoes or different color bell peppers, or red onion and fresh garlic instead of shallot.
- Change the chickpeas – Try substituting them with cooked lentils, canellini beans, or even black beans.
- Swap olives – Use kalamata olives, black olives, or capers instead of green olives.
- Add greens – Serve salad over fresh spinach or kale, or cook down greens and stir them directly into the salad.
Cover and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Enjoy cold — no reheating needed!
Can You Freeze Quinoa Salad?
Quinoa salad recipes don’t freeze well, as the other included components will change in texture. However, you can freeze any plain leftover quinoa for up to 3 months.
What To Serve With Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Pair this salad with your favorite plain proteins, or add extra flavor with these easy dishes:
More Mediterranean Salad Recipes
Salad doesn’t need lettuce to be tasty! Try these fresh, simple, and flavorful ones next, all perfect for Mediterranean meals:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe (Quick & Easy!)
Make the best Mediterranean quinoa salad recipe in minutes! Quinoa chickpea salad with feta makes a delicious, simple side dish.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Servings: 8 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and run cold water over it for about a minute.
Transfer quinoa to a small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup (118 ml) of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the quinoa absorbs all the water.
Remove from heat. Cover with a lid and rest for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, bell peppers, cucumbers, chickpeas, parsley, feta, green olives (if using), and shallots (if using).
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the salad, and mix to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Serve immediately, or if you have time, preferably refrigerate for 1 hour to let the flavors develop.
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 18g
Net Carbs 15g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂