This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This healthy keto tres leches cake is so incredibly sweet and moist, that nobody will guess it’s sugar free! This keto version uses a similar method to the classic recipe, where a white vanilla cake gets soaked in three milks (that’s what tres leches means in Spanish!) and topped with fluffy whipped cream. The base layer is inspired by my keto vanilla cake, and I incorporated sugar-free condensed milk and keto whipped cream for the other layers.
To keep this cake impeccably moist and sweet (while staying sugar free), I chose none other than Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend (granulated for the cake and powdered for the tres leches and whipped cream). This sweetener has a just-like-sugar taste and zero net carbs, but unlike other sugar substitutes, it dissolves easily and won’t crystallize, so you get no gritty texture. It also locks in moisture, so your baked goods don’t dry out like they do with erythritol-based sweeteners.
For the flours, I use a blend of Wholesome Yum Almond Flour and Wholesome Yum Coconut Flour to get the right texture. They work better together than one flour alone, and have the finest texture for the perfect crumb.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- Authentic light and sweet flavor
- Perfect texture that’s a balance of cakey and creamy
- Ready in just over 30 minutes
- No need to separate egg whites and egg yolks
- Naturally gluten-free and low carb
- Perfect on its own or topped with fresh berries
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for almond tres leches cake, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This sweetener in particular makes the cake extra soft and sweet. A different keto sweetener may work, although exact measurements can differ (use the sweetener conversion chart to check). Swapping the sweetener tends to produce a more dry result, as Besti locks in moisture more than others.
- Butter – I use grass-fed butter for richer flavor and nutrition, but any unsalted variety works. Coconut oil would also work, but the flavor is best with butter.
- Eggs – Use whole, large eggs. Flax eggs might work as a substitute, but I haven’t tested to confirm.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – You can use another keto milk substitute if you prefer, but almond milk has the most neutral flavor. Make sure to get it unsweetened.
- Vanilla Extract – Use a high-quality vanilla for best taste.
- Wholesome Yum Almond Flour & Coconut Flour – The combination of these two flours gives the cake a more authentic texture and helps soak up the milks better — avoid using just one kind of flour or making partial substitutions.
- Baking Powder – Instead of whipping egg whites, baking powder helps the cake rise and have more air pockets for soaking up milk!
- Keto Sugar-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk – Simply make one full recipe of this milk (which is 1 1/2 cups) to have the correct quantity.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – This serves as the keto evaporated milk substitute. You can substitute a different sugar-free milk, but the flavor may change.
- Heavy Cream – A classic milk choice for this cake and adds wonderful richness.
I use my sugar-free whipped cream recipe for the topping, which includes:
How To Make Keto Tres Leches
This section shows how to make tres leches keto, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make condensed milk. Simply follow these directions for sugar-free condensed milk. Set aside.
- Cream butter. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and Besti together until fluffy.
- Add wet ingredients. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by almond milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients. Beat in the almond and coconut flours, and baking powder.
- Bake. Transfer batter to a 9×13 inch pan and smooth the top. Bake until top is golden and springy to the touch. Cool completely.
- Make keto tres leches. Stir sweetened condensed milk, almond milk, and heavy cream together in a bowl.
- Soak. Poke holes all over the cake. Pour the three milk mixture over the top.
- Chill. Refrigerate the cake for an hour.
- Make whipped cream. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat heavy cream, powdered Besti, and vanilla, until stiff peaks form. (Get more details and tips for making keto whipped cream here.)
- Top. Remove the chilled cake from the fridge and spread whipped cream evenly over the top of the healthy tres leches cake.
Is Tres Leches Cake Healthy?
Since most tres leches cakes are made with processed white flour and sugar, they are not conventionally healthy. However, it’s easy to make this healthy tres leches cake recipe that skips these ingredients altogether — while keeping the same sweet flavor and moist texture!
- Store: Although best served within 48 hours, you can cover and store this keto tres leches recipe for up to 5 days.
- Meal prep: Prepare sugar-free sweetened condensed milk ahead of time and store before preparing the rest of the recipe. Alternatively, you can make the entire cake recipe ahead of time before serving.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing this cake, as the textures will change too much.
What To Serve With Healthy Tres Leches Cake
I love pairing almond flour tres leches cake with my favorite healthy Mexican dishes! Try it as part of a menu with these easy recipes.
- Fajitas – Pair this cake with chicken fajitas, shrimp fajitas, or Instant Pot steak fajitas.
- Spiced meats – Cilantro lime chicken, carne asada, or beef barbacoa make delicious main dishes. Build a bowl with any of them by adding cauliflower rice, shredded cheese, tomato salsa, avocado or guacamole, and cilantro.
- Taco flavors – Cook up zucchini taco boats, healthy taco salad, or turkey taco stuffed peppers to serve before the cake.
- Margaritas – Make a pitcher of skinny margaritas (no sugar!) to complete your meal.
Other Popular Keto Dessert Recipes
Avoiding sugar and flour? You can still have dessert! Try these sweet keto desserts next:
Keto Tres Leches Cake
A rich, moist, and unbelievably healthy keto tres leches cake, soaked in a sweet milk mixture and topped with whipped cream. Just 3.6g net carbs!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 18 minutes
Total: 33 minutes
Servings: 24 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
In a large bowl, beat together the Besti and butter, until fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the almond milk and vanilla extract.
Beat in the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder.
Transfer the batter to a 9×13 inch pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and spring-y.
Tres Leches Cake Assembly:
In a medium bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, almond milk, and heavy cream.
Using a fork, poke holes in top of the cake and pour milk mixture over the top.
Refrigerate the keto tres leches cake for 1 hour.
Remove cake from refrigerator and spread whipped cream over the top.
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/24 of entire recipe
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 6g
Net Carbs 3.6g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂