This keto pizza casserole has all the best parts of a pizza all baked together, creating the ultimate low carb comfort food! Cheesy, meaty, and made with 5 ingredients, it takes just 20 minutes to make!
It’s no surprise that we enjoy pizza-inspired meals on a weekly basis.
Even though we follow a low carb diet, there are plenty of keto dinner options that taste just as good as the original.
Of course this includes pizza. Some of our favorites are a classic keto pizza or, when we want something a little more filling, nothing beats a crustless pizza. If we are meal prepping or wanting something to last a few days, we love a low carb pizza casserole.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Made with real pasta. Thank goodness for easily available low carb pasta options, including rotini, penne, and more.
- No cauliflower. Most keto pizza style recipes call for cauliflower to bulk it up, but not this one!
- 5 ingredients. Keto pasta, sausage, pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni- That is it!
- Easy to meal prep. Double or triple batch cook this casserole and freeze portions to enjoy later.
What I love about this dish is that it screams comfort food and is so satisfying, with no carbs! It has all the best parts of a pizza in a casserole form, you’ll be making a batch of this weekly!
How to make a keto pizza casserole
- Keto pasta- I used low carb rotini pasta, which holds sauce and cheese so much better than other kinds of pasta. Any kind of keto pasta works, even homemade almond flour pasta.
- Onion and garlic- Add extra flavor in the sauce mixture.
- Ground sausage- A must for any good pizza inspired dish. If you can’t find ground sausage, you can use any ground beef or pork.
- Pizza sauce- Homemade keto pizza sauce, not any of the store bought ones that are full of sugar and unnecessary carbs!
- Parmesan and mozzarella cheese- A combination of both kinds of cheese yield stretchy and melted cheese.
- Pepperoni- Simple and classic pizza topping.
Start by cooking the pasta as per the package directions, until al dente. Drain it and set it aside.
Next, add some olive oil into a large pot or saucepan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground sausage and cook until no longer brown. Add the pizza sauce and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove the sauce mixture from the heat and stir through the cooked pasta, along with the parmesan cheese.
Now, transfer the pasta into a greased 8 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese then the mozzarella cheese. Place the pepperoni on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove the casserole from the oven and cut it into pieces and serve immediately.
Expert tips for success
- You can use any keto pasta of your choice. I like the Great Low Carb Bread company rotini pasta, as it cooks and tastes like real pasta. If you can’t find a suitable kind, you can use soy pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
- Add extra low carb vegetables to the sauce mixture, for added nutrients and thickness. Bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach are all great options.
- To lower the carbs, use only a single package of pasta and double the amount of sauce.
The beauty of this casserole is that you can customize it any way you like, just like any good pizza.
- Ground meat– Ground turkey, beef, pork, or chicken works.
- Cheese– Add some cheddar, pepper jack, or provolone cheese.
- Meat toppings– shaved ham, diced bacon, grilled chicken strips, or chorizo.
- Vegetable toppings– Add some low carb vegetables, like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions.
- Antipasto and extras– Sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts.
What to serve with a low carb pizza casserole
While this dish is delicious on its own, there are tons of low carb side dishes that work well with it.
More keto casserole recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There are just 3 grams of net carbs in a serving of this pizza casserole.
For a vegetarian option, switch out the ground sausage for a vegetarian based sausage, like beyond meat crumbles.
Easily prepare this dish ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until it is ready to be baked. It can be made up to three days in advance.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
Prepare the pasta as per the directions. Once al dente, remove from the heat and drain. Set aside.
In a deep pot or large saucepan, add the olive oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground sausage, break apart in the pan, and cook until browned. Add the pizza sauce and mix well. Let the mixture simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add the cooked pasta into the sausage sauce mixture and mix until combined. Fold through half the parmesan cheese. Transfer the mixture into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, then top with pepperoni. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden.
Remove the casserole from the oven, before slicing and serving.
** If you’d like a thinner sauce, you can make a keto spaghetti sauce.
TO STORE: Pizza casserole can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
TO FREEZE: Place leftover casserole in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
REHEATING: Either microwave portions of the casserole for 1-2 minutes or place it in a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 23g | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 13g | Vitamin A: 186IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 156mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 5g