This keto margarita is a low carb take on the classic Mexican inspired cocktail! Simple, fancy, and satisfy the cravings!
Since going keto, I’ve struggled with what I can and cannot drink, often sticking to basic spirits or low carb wine. However, I’ve been yearning more and more for my favorite cocktails. After a delicious mojito, I used my favorite drink mix to make margs!
Are margaritas keto?
Traditional margaritas are not keto friendly. They contain triple sec or Cointreau, which contain excessive amounts of sugar and sugar syrup, sometimes containing up to 30 grams of carbs per jigger!
Luckily, you can make some simple swaps to have your very own low carb margarita!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 4 Ingredients. Just tequila, flavor extract, a sugar free syrup and a mixer is all you’ll need.
- Easy to customize. Fruity, sharp, or with sweeter notes, you can customize this cocktail any way you like.
- Uses real keto simple syrup. Thanks to our keto simple syrup recipe, this truly tastes like the original.
The texture is chilled, smooth, and goes down beautifully. It’s got a slightly sweet lime and orange flavor, without being overpowering! Unlike a skinny margarita, there is no sugar needed!
- Tequila. Use good quality and subtly flavored tequila, like Patron or Don Julio.
- Simple syrup. Adds a little bit of sweetness adding no extra carbs or sugar. I used a keto simple syrup.
- Orange extract. Gives some lovely orange flavor, with no oranges needed.
- Soda water, seltzer, OR water. To thin out the margarita. If you prefer some fizz, opt for soda water or seltzer.
- Limes. Fresh limes juiced, with several slices for decoration.
- Ice. A must for any good cocktail.
How to make a keto margarita
Start by adding all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, and shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes. Pour into tall glasses and serve with freshly sliced lime.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If you prefer a less sweet margarita, omit the simple syrup and use seltzer or soda water.
- Amp up the flavor by using lime or lemon flavored seltzer.
- For aesthetic purposes, lightly brush the edges of the glass with water and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- For a keto margarita mix, you can prepare all the ingredients, minus the water/seltzer up to two weeks in advance. When ready to enjoy, add the mixture, along with the seltzer, into a cocktail shaker, and mix and serve!
The beauty of this margarita is just how easy it is to customize. Here are some low carb flavor ideas to try:
- Strawberry. Add 1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries and blend everything together. If desired, use frozen strawberries for a frozen margarita.
- Watermelon. Omit the orange extract and replace it with watermelon extract.
- Jalapeno. Omit the orange extract and add 3-4 sliced jalapenos. If too spicy and salty, add a little extra simple syrup. This is also known as a spicy margarita.
- Blue. Add 1-2 drops of blue food coloring.
- Pineapple. Replace the orange extract with pineapple extract and double the amount of simple syrup.
More keto drink recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
No, skinny girl alcoholic beverages contain some added sugar, usually as agave nectar or maple syrup.
When made as written, there are zero carbs in this drink.
- 3 ounces tequila 90 mls
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon keto simple syrup or keto maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup seltzer or soda water or water
- 1/4 cup ice
- Strawberry– Add 1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries and blend everything together. If desired, use frozen strawberries for a frozen margarita.
- Watermelon– Omit the orange extract and replace it with watermelon extract.
- Jalapeno– Omit the orange extract and add 3-4 sliced jalapenos. If too spicy and salty, add a little extra simple syrup. This is also known as a spicy margarita.
- Blue– Add 1-2 drops of blue food coloring.
- Pineapple– Replace the orange extract with pineapple extract and double the amount of simple syrup.
Serving: 1cocktail | Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 15mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 11IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 1g