Grilled grouper is a quick and easy seafood dinner recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make! Pair it with your favorite sides for a healthy and filling meal.
What is grouper?
Grouper is a saltwater fish commonly found around the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. The taste of fish varies depending upon its habitat. Some are mild tasting whereas other varieties can have a more flavorful kick. The most common ways to cook grouper is frying or grilling it.
Grouper vs. snapper
Grouper differs from snapper as it has a distinctive and mild flavor. The flesh is lean, moist, and firm. Snapper has white flesh and red skin, giving it a slightly pink texture. It has a mild taste but a prominent sweeter flavor.
What is the best way to eat grouper?
As grouper is mildly flavored, the fewer seasonings you add, the better. While baking or frying the fish is delicious, the best way to eat it is to grill it!
Why this grilled grouper recipe will be a grilling favorite-
- It’s quick and easy to make, taking less than 8 minutes all up.
- Grouper is easily be found at most fishmongers, grocery stores, and markets.
- It’s a healthy fish, containing important vitamins, like vitamin B-complex, vitamin D, magnesium and potassium.
- You can flavor or season it any way you like!
As someone who can sometimes be wary of things tasting too ‘fishy’, grouper has proved to be a delicious seafood to include regularly.
How to make grilled grouper?
- Grouper fillets- Choose fillets that are similar in size so that they cook evenly.
- Olive oil- Any neutral flavored oil works.
- Salt and pepper- To season.
- Lemons and parsley- To serve.
Start by pat drying the fish to remove excess liquid. Rub olive oil on both sides of the fish and sprinkle some salt and pepper.
Next, heat the grill and brush the surface with some oil. Add fish to the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip, then cook for another 2 minutes.
Now, remove the fish from the grill, squeeze some lemon on top and serve immediately.
Can I use frozen grouper fillets?
Yes, you can use frozen grouper fillets. For the best results, thaw the fillets completely then pat them dry before seasoning them.
How do you keep fish from sticking to the grill?
To avoid the fish sticking to the grill, clean it properly to remove any burned-on debris. Then oil the grill before adding fish to it.
What color is grouper when cooked?
Cooked grouper is white and slightly opaque.
- Cajun flavored– Add 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning and rub on both sides of the fish.
- Alfredo covered– Let the fish rest, then cover it in alfredo sauce.
- Teriyaki– Marinate the fish in 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Ginger and garlic– Add 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, ginger, and a drizzle of soy sauce.
- Mexican style– Rub taco seasoning on the fish before grilling.
What to serve with grilled grouper?
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
- To store- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze- Place the cooked and cooled grouper in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating– Reheat on the grill or oven.
More fish recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Grouper is mildly flavored and has a subtly sweet flavor. It is comparable to halibut or sea bass.
The optimum temperature to grill fish is 200C/400F. This cooks in quickly and the high heat keeps the fish flaky and moist.
- 4 fillets grouper 4-6 ounce fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 large lemon to serve
Pat down the grouper with a paper towel to ensure there is no excess liquid.
Generously rub both sides of the fish with olive oil. Sprinkle the salt and pepper.
Heat the grill to medium/high and ensure the grill is clean. Brush more oil over the top.
Add the grouper and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sides go slightly opaque. Flip the fish and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Remove the fish from the grill and sprinkle with parsley and lemon.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooked and cooled grouper in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
TO REHEAT: Reheat on the grill or oven.
Serving: 1fillet | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 381mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 247IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg