Learn how to make crispy air fryer chicken wings in less than 10 minutes! Using either fresh or frozen chicken wings, a secret trick guarantees perfectly cooked wings every single time.
If you’re a big fan of chicken wings like me, these air fryer chicken wings will be a treat. No need to marinate; these wings are easy to make and super delicious that you’ll never order chicken wings from a restaurant again.
They are healthier and make you forget all your favorite restaurants that are your go-to places for enjoying chicken wings.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Works with fresh or frozen wings. While fresh wings are preferred, frozen wings can work!
- Ready in 10 minutes. With no need to marinate the chicken, these wings take less than 10 minutes to cook!
- Crispy outside, tender inside. The texture is everything you’d want with chicken wings. A secret ingredient guarantees crispy wings every single time.
What I love about these air fried wings is how much healthier they are than deep fried or fried wings. Cooking the wings in the airt fryer removes excess oil and there are no added oils/butter needed!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make air fryer chicken wings:
- Chicken wings- Use a mix of wings and drumettes. While frozen chicken wings will work, fresh is always better and guarantees the crispy exterior.
- Olive oil- Enhances the crispy skin and keeps the juices intact.
- Brown sugar- A touch of brown sugar caramelizes the exterior and gives the skin an even crispier texture. For a low carb option, use a brown sugar substitute.
- Smoked paprika- Adds a lovely smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
- Baking powder– The secret ingredient to guarantee crispy chicken wings (just like in keto chicken wings!).
How to make crispy wings in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F and lightly grease the air fryer basket.
Season the chicken wings: Toss the wings with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Air fry the wings: Add a single layer of the chicken wings to the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Garnish and serve: Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve with dipping sauces.
How do you know when the wings are cooked?
Your chicken wings are cooked when the juices run clear and are the meat is no longer pink. Another way you can know when the wings are cooked is by checking their internal temperature. For properly cooked chicken, the internal temperature should be 165F (or 75C).
Can I bake these in a traditional oven?
If you don’t want to air fry the chicken wings, you can bake them in the oven.
Increase the cooking time to 45 minutes and flip halfway through. The oven temperature remains the same as the air fryer, at 200C/400F.
Tips for success
- Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket so the hot air can cook the skin to ultimate crispiness.
- Use room temperature chicken wings, as it will help the wings cook evenly.
- Ensure you pat dry the chicken before adding the seasonings or else you risk the wings not cooking properly.
- Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To Store- Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To Freeze- Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheating- Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
What to serve with chicken wings?
While carrot and celery sticks are a must, the perfect pairing for wings are the sauces. Some of our favorites include ranch dressing, bbq sauce, cheese sauce, and ketchup. Other non-traditional ones include guacamole (trust me on this!), salsa, and alfredo sauce.
More air fryer appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
When prepared as instructed, chicken wings should take no longer than ten minutes to cook.
Unless re-heating pre-cooked chicken wings, all wings that go into the air fryer should be raw.
For extra crispy wings, add 1 tablespoon of baking powder to the mixture. This is another trick to help the wings become crispier.
Lightly grease an air fryer basket, Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F.
Pat dry the chicken wings ensuring there is no moisture.
Toss the wings in a bowl with olive oil. Add the remaining seasonings and mix well.
Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 9-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve immediately.
TO FREEZE: Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
TO REHEAT: Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 383IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg