These chicken fajitas are an easy and healthy recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make! Tender, seasoned chicken with bell peppers, onions, and plenty of spices.
We are a family that loves a healthy chicken recipe.
We love to enjoy chicken with Mexican flavors, and we regularly make Mexican soup, chicken tinga, and these chicken fajitas.
Why this recipe works
- Ready in 10 minutes. From prep to plate, this entire dish takes less than 10 minutes to cook. It’s perfect for a quick and healthy dinner.
- All made in one skillet or pan. Everything from the vegetables to the chicken is cooked in the same skillet or pan. This means clean up is at an absolute minimum!
- Simple and cheap ingredients. No crazy expensive spices, vegetables, or cuts of chicken are needed.
The secret to the best chicken fajitas you’ll ever eat is using homemade chicken fajita marinade. While you can easily buy packets of instant fajita seasoning mixes, they add tons of fillers and hidden sugars and are never as delicious as the homemade kind.
Chicken fajita marinade
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli powder
- Lime juice
For the fajitas
- Chicken breasts– Skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets that are thinly sliced.
- Olive oil– A flavorful oil to cook with.
- Onions– White onions are preferred, but red onions also work too.
- Bell peppers– Use a mix of yellow, red, and green peppers.
How to make chicken fajitas?
Step 1- Prep the marinade and chicken
Start by whisking together the chicken fajita marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
Next, add chicken into a ziplock bag. Add the marinade and shake very well, so the chicken will be well coated in the seasonings.
Step 2- cook the fajitas
Now, add the olive oil to a large skillet or non-stick pan. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pan, then add the vegetables, and sautee them for 3-4 minutes, or until they have softened before pushing them to one side.
Finally, add the chicken back into the pan and cook everything together for two minutes, before removing them from the heat and serving immediately.
Sides for fajitas
The best side dishes to serve with fajitas are flour tortillas, pico-de-gallo, guacamole, and black beans.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled chicken and vegetables in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: If you are in a pinch, microwave everything for 30-40 seconds, but if you have time, reheat them in a non-stick pan.
More easy Mexican recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken fajitas are one of the healthiest Mexican food or even dinner recipes out there.
The best way to cut the chicken for these fajitas is thin, 1/2-inch strips. Be sure to cut against the grain so there are no tough or rubbery pieces.
There are 160 calories in a serving of homemade chicken fajitas.
Chicken fajita seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 limes divided
- 2 large chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 large green bell pepper
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken fajita spices, garlic, and the juice of one lime.
Add the chicken strips into a ziplock bag, along with the spice and garlic mixture. Shake until the chicken is fully coated.
In a large skillet, add one tablespoon of the olive oil. Place it over medium heat and once hot, add the seasoned chicken strips and cook for 6-8 minutes, until fully cooked.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Push the vegetables to one side, add the chicken back in and squeeze the second lime all over. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes, then serve.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooked and cooled chicken and vegetables in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
TO REHEAT: If you are in a pinch, microwave everything for 30-40 seconds, but if you have time, they taste incredible reheated in a non-stick pan until you hear them sizzling.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 479mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 717IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 6g