This chicken crust pizza recipe satisfies all the pizza cravings out there, minus the carbs! Ready in just 15 minutes, the crust needs just 3 ingredients to make!
For someone watching their carbs, pizza is not an obvious choice.
See, most crusts use wheat flour and yeast, which aren’t exactly keto friendly. However, by replacing the crust with an alternative that can hold plenty of toppings and taste just as good, you can satisfy those cravings. Enter a ground chicken pizza crust.
What is a chicken crust pizza?
As the name suggests, a chicken pizza crust has a base made up of ground chicken instead of a traditional flour-based one. It’s popular amongst the keto dieters because it has zero carbs, tons of protein, and looks like a pizza.
When you add classic pizza toppings and plenty of cheese, it will satisfy all the pizza cravings out there!
Why this chicken crust recipe will be a dinner time favorite-
- 3 ingredients. The crust is made up of just ground chicken, mozzarella cheese, and spices!
- Ready in 15 minutes. Compare that to a classic pizza which would take four times as long.
- Satisfies the pizza cravings. For all those times you crave pizza while following a low carb diet, this fits the bill.
- Easy to customize. Switch up the meat in the crust, the toppings, and even the sauce!
What I love about this dish is that it doesn’t taste very much like chicken! The beauty of ground chicken is that it is very mild tasting. When mixed with the spices and cheese, it really tastes like a thick, cheesy crust!
How to make a chicken crust pizza
- Ground chicken– As the chicken is mixed with cheese, leaner cuts can be used. I used 90/10 ground chicken, which has a 10% fat content.
- Italian seasonings– The necessary spice mix.
- Olive oil– Or any oil to cook up the ground chicken.
- Cheddar cheese– Freshly grated cheddar cheese. This cheese is in addition to the topping.
- Pizza sauce– Skip the sugar-laden store bought kind and make your own keto pizza sauce.
- Pizza toppings– Bell peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, or anything you like to add on a pizza.
- Mozzarella cheese– I like topping anything pizza-like with a two cheese blend, like a mix of mozzarella and Jack cheese.
Prepare the ground chicken pizza crust: Start by adding the oil to a non-stick pan. Once hot, add the ground chicken and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Remove the pan off the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and mozzarella cheese.
Shape into a pizza: Using slightly wet hands, shape the chicken mixture into a ball. Transfer it onto a pizza stone or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Par-bake the pizza: Just to make sure the crust is firm and durable, bake the pizza for 3-4 minutes, until golden on top.
Add the sauce and toppings: Remove the pizza from the oven and spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on top then your favorite toppings. Sprinkle cheese over everything.
Bake the pizza: Bake everything for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Remove and serve: Remove the pizza from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes, before slicing and serving.
Can I use other kinds of chicken?
While ground chicken is best for a chicken crust pizza, you can also use canned chicken and shredded chicken. As this kind of chicken isn’t as pliable as the ground kind, you need to add 1-2 tablespoons of keto mayonnaise to it to help bind it together with the cheese.
- Canned chicken– Choose chicken canned in water (NOT any flavorings!) and remove all excess liquid.
- Shredded chicken– Either shred poached chicken breasts or make a batch of instant pot shredded chicken.
- Ground meat– Like in the crustless pizza, ground turkey works well, as does lean ground beef.
- Toppings– Other low carb vegetables include sliced zucchini, eggplant, onion, and spinach.
- Sauce– Opt for a creamier keto sauce, like alfredo sauce or cheese sauce. You can also choose a thicker tomato-based one, like a keto spaghetti sauce.
- Cheese– Freshly sliced mozzarella, dollops of full-fat ricotta cheese, or even feta cheese.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled pizza in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave slices of the pizza for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven until warm.
What to serve with a keto chicken pizza
As this dish is pretty much comfort food sliced up, light and fresh sides is best.
More keto pizza recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There are ZERO carbs in the ground chicken pizza crust. Ground chicken and mozzarella cheese have no carbs/trace carbs. The carbs come from the vegetables and sauce added to it.
There are 245 calories and 2 grams net carbs in a serving of the chicken crust pizza WITH toppings.
You can pre-make and pre-cook the crust then freeze them up until you are ready to make the pizza.
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a non-stick pan, add the oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, and the ground chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
Remove the pan off the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and cheddar cheese until combined. Shape the mixture into a ball.
Transfer the ball of chicken onto the lined sheet and press down into a large pizza shape. Pre-bake for 5 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread the pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese.
Bake the chicken crust pizza for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Remove the pizza from the oven and slice and serve.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooked and cooled pizza in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
TO REHEAT: Either microwave slices of the pizza for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven until warm.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 16g | Sodium: 324mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 343mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 1g