This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This beef cabbage soup recipe (sometimes called hamburger cabbage soup) tastes so rich and hearty, you’d never guess it was healthy. It’s a lot like my hamburger soup, but with the added comfort factor of cabbage instead of green beans. Let me show you how to make cabbage soup with ground beef, tender veggies, and only 15 minutes of hands-on prep — including Crock Pot or Instant Pot options.
Why You’ll Love This Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Rich, beefy flavor
- Tender meat with soft vegetables
- Simple ingredients with minimal chopping
- 15 minutes of prep time
- Easy to make in the slow cooker or pressure cooker
- Naturally paleo, whole30, keto, and low carb
- The perfect light meal that keeps you full and satisfied!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cabbage and ground beef soup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options (see more in the Variations section below). For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Avocado Oil – You can also use olive oil, or whatever neutral cooking oil you prefer.
- Onion – A white or yellow onion is best, but red onion can work as well.
- Ground Beef – I typically use 85/15 grass-fed beef, which is flavorful without being too greasy, but use any variety you like. While this is a cabbage soup with hamburger, you can also make it using other ground meats (see ideas in the Variations section below).
- Shredded Coleslaw Mix – Makes for minimal chopping in this simple beef cabbage soup recipe! If you want to avoid the added carrot, you can also use plain shredded cabbage.
- Beef Broth – I use homemade bone broth, but a store-bought variety beef broth works too. Chicken broth and vegetable broth also make fine substitutions.
- Diced Tomatoes – These are the kind that come in a can. Include them with the liquid for extra flavor and for the right amount of liquid in the soup.
- Herbs & Spices – Including Italian seasoning (make homemade Italian seasoning for best flavor!), garlic powder, bay leaves, sea salt, and black pepper.
How To Make Cabbage Soup With Hamburger
This section shows how to make ground beef and cabbage soup, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Saute onions. Heat oil in the Instant Pot (or saute pan, if using a slow cooker). Cook onions until softened.
- Cook beef. Increase temperature to medium-high heat and add ground beef, cooking until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients. Transfer the beef and onions to a slow cooker (or leave in the Instant Pot if using that method.) Stir in the coleslaw mix, diced tomatoes (with liquid), broth, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and whole bay leaves.
- Cook. Cook hamburger cabbage soup in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot, until ingredients are softened and cooked through. (Times will vary depending on cooking vessel of choice — see recipe card below.) I like to garnish with fresh parsley, but this is optional.
VARIATION: Cook ground beef cabbage soup on the stove top instead.
Follow the same steps, but use a large soup pot and cook on the stove. After adding ingredients to the pot in step 3, bring to a boil and simmer for 30-60 minutes, or until the flavors develop to your liking.
Variations Of Beef Cabbage Soup
- Use different ground meats – Instead of hamburger soup with cabbage, trade beef for ground turkey, ground pork, ground chicken, or Italian sausage with casings removed.
- Add beans – If your lifestyle allows beans, they would make a perfect addition to this soup. Simply rinse and drain beans before adding to the pot. Try it with cannellini beans or kidney beans!
- Try other added veggies – This soup would taste delicious with cauliflower or celery added!
- Include potatoes – If you wish to have potatoes in your soup, saute them to brown after the onions, then cook as usual. They’ll soften while the soup cooks.
- Use whole cabbage – Simply chop it yourself instead of using coleslaw mix.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice – It brightens up the flavor and adds a boost of vitamin C! Add it at the end of cooking, to taste.
- Store: Cool cabbage beef soup leftovers to room temperature, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Meal prep: Shred cabbage (if not using a pre-shredded mix), and cook onions and beef ahead of time and store until ready to complete the recipe. You can also make the entire soup ahead of time, since it stores very well. It’s easy to make a double batch!
- Freeze: Cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months, and thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Reheat: Warm up the soup on the stovetop, in the slow cooker, or in the microwave.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
If you like this hearty Crock Pot cabbage soup with hamburger, you’ll love these other cozy soups too!
Beef Cabbage Soup With Hamburger (Crock Pot or Instant Pot)
Make this easy beef cabbage soup recipe in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot! Cabbage soup with hamburger is cozy, healthy, and easy.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 4 hours
Total: 4 hours 15 minutes
Servings: 14 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Crock Pot Instructions:
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown.
Add ground beef to the pan. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, breaking apart with a spatula, for about 7-10 minutes, until the beef is browned.
Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients into the Crock Pot.
When the beef is browned, add the beef and onion mixture to the Crock Pot. Stir to combine. Season with more salt and/or pepper to taste.
Cook for 5-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Instant Pot Instructions:
Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot. Add the oil and chopped onions. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown.
Add ground beef to the Instant Pot. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Increase saute temperature to “High”. Cook, breaking apart with a spatula, for about 7-10 minutes, until the beef is cooked through.
When the beef is done, turn off heat and add the remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Season with more salt and/or pepper to taste.
Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Press the Manual button and adjust the time to 20 minutes. When cooking is complete, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use quick release. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 5g
Net Carbs 4g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂