This bacon wrapped asparagus turns out crispy, delicious and works as a perfect dinner side dish or appetizer. Low in carbs but full of flavor!
Fancy appetizers and side dishes are my favorite.
With all my main meals, I always need sides to keep me full. While I have a ton of low carb side dishes to choose from, I have a few standbys I make almost weekly.
Is asparagus keto friendly?
Asparagus is a fantastic vegetable to include on a keto diet. Per half cup serving, there are just 1.5 grams of net carbs. It works in tons of dishes, especially when paired with bacon!
Why this bacon wrapped asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish-
- 3 ingredients. You can make it with only three key ingredients!
- Low in carbs. Each serving has less than 2 grams of net carbs.
- Multiple cooking methods. Either oven, stovetop, or in the air fryer.
What I love about this dish is just how simple yet elegant they are. It’s super easy to prepare and pairs well with almost anything.
How to make bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven?
- Asparagus- Fresh and equally sized asparagus. Trip the base of them.
- Bacon- While any bacon works, choose thinner slices of bacon, so it holds the asparagus better and is extra crispy.
- Butter- Measured in its melted state.
- Balsamic vinegar- Adds a punch of flavor and adds crispiness to the asparagus.
- Salt and black pepper- To taste.
Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
Prepare bacon asparagus bundles: Separate asparagus. Take 1 or two bacon pieces and wrap them around the asparagus bundles then place them in a baking dish. Drizzle with the melted butter, salt, and pepper.
Bake and serve: Bake for 18-20 minutes. Once removed from the oven, brush with balsamic then serve immediately.
How to grill bacon wrapped asparagus?
Follow the steps to grill bacon wrapped asparagus:
- Heat the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cover it with a piece of tin foil.
- Prepare the bacon wrapped asparagus as instructed and place it on top of the foil.
- Grill for 18 to 20 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
Can I make this on the stove?
Yes, you can make bacon wrapped asparagus on the stove, however, you need to use a very large pan, as the bacon is prone to splattering and creating some mess. To make it in the oven-
- Take a large non-stick skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Add some olive oil.
- Add bacon asparagus bundles without overcrowding the pan when the oil becomes hot.
- Cook for several minutes and then flip to cook the other side. Keep cooking until asparagus becomes tender and the bacon is crispy.
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make bacon wrapped asparagus in the air fryer.
For air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus, place them in the lightly greased air fryer basket and cook at 200C/400F for 7-8 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy.
- Add cheese- Sprinkle your favorite cheese before serving. The options that work the best bacon wrapped asparagus are parmesan cheese, goat cheese, or mozzarella cheese.
- Add some sweetness- Melt butter in a small pan and add some sugar to it. Drizzle the mixture over bacon wrapped asparagus before baking.
- Bacon wrapped asparagus with honey- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Brush the mixture on the bacon wrapped asparagus while cooking.
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
- To store: Place leftovers in air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Cool them, then place them in a ziplock bag. Store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either reheat in the microwave, air fryer, or preheated oven.
What does asparagus pair well with?
- Poultry– Blackened chicken, air fryer chicken breast, air fryer chicken thighs, or drumsticks.
- Seafood– Air fryer salmon, keto salmon, salmon patties, or air fryer shrimp.
- Meat– Air fryer pork chops, juicy pork chops, meatloaf, and meatballs.
- Vegetable main courses– Eggplant lasagna, zucchini lasagna, or a cauliflower pizza crust.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can soak the asparagus before cooking to remove the sand and soil. If it’s already clean, soaking isn’t necessary, nor does it contribute to the outcome of the dish.
There are several ways to ensure cooked asparagus isn’t stringy. These include par-boiling the vegetables or removing some of the outer skin.
If your asparagus is at an uneven size, or the bacon is too thick, you risk the asparagus being soft and soggy.
- 18 spears asparagus trimmed
- 6 slices bacon thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Divide the asparagus into bundles of three. Wrap a slice of bacon around each bindle then place them on the baking sheet. Brush with the melted butter then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake the bacon wrapped asparagus for 20-25 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy.
Remove the asparagus from the oven and brush with balsamic vinegar.
TO FREEZE: Cool them, then place them in a ziplock bag. Store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
TO REHEAT: Either reheat in the microwave, air fryer, or preheated oven.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Sodium: 289mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg